Sunday, April 25, 2010

Being a writer and stuff

I have to say that I am really happy that I started writing. I haven't really written much since high school. I think it's because I could never write about anything that interested me. It's true when "they" (whoever they are) say to write what you know. I may not know everything about horror and zombies, but I just write what I DO know!

Most of the time, I have to force myself to sit down and write. It's not that I don't enjoy it; I just have SO much other stuff to do. Deadlines are an amazing thing, let me tell you. I have never been such as a procrastinator as I have been as a writer. I'm trying very hard to build up my collection of short stories. I don't feel like I'm to a point yet where I could actually write a full book. My goal is possibly a novella-length before the year is out. Until then, I'm trying to pump out the short stories! I just need ideas and motivation!

I did finish a story and submitted it to an anthology about phobias, that will be coming soon from the Library of Horror Press. It is about a lady with a fear of frogs. If you know me, you know that I really have that phobia! Yes, let's all laugh at the lady who loves zombie movies, books, etc...but cannot STAND frogs and toads! The story, called "Hoppers," isn't about me, but I did use some of my life experiences and feelings on the phobia to write it. Well, the lead character is named Diane, which is my middle name...and that and the phobia is about all we have in common!

I'm still waiting on the rejection or acceptance for "Hoppers," but even if they don't accept it, I am still very proud of it. The deadline was looming and I forced myself to sit down and finish it in one night. It took me a good 2 hours - I finished it, printed it and edited. The next night, I did another edit and finalized it, then...I submitted it! Scary! I'm sure all you other writers know that feeling well! So, the wait is on...

On the home front, things are busy as usual. I am really missing my husband, of course. This is his second deployment to Iraq, and we hope to have him home around Christmas time this year. He assures me he is in a much calmer, peaceful section of Iraq than last time, but I still worry. If you've never spent an entire day cleaning your house for your husband's return in 6 months, only to get the phone call that evening that he is coming home sooner than expected thanks to a VBIED, then you probably wouldn't understand. (and that is my little homage to "Breathers: A Zombies Lament. dah-dah-ching!) Gotta keep a sense of humor about this folks, or I might lose my mind.

Well, you should be able to walk into any book store and ask them to order a copy of "Dead Set" now. Of course, it is on Amazon always. We're getting copies out to reviewers to spread the word, and so far the folks who have read and reviewed have given positive ones! I will try to keep my blog updated with links to any reviews we receive. It really is a great, classy book. I am just so honored to have been involved - plus have a story in it!

Thanks everyone (all 7 of you!)! Have a great week!

No comments: